Suggesting and Offering

Suggest means to give a suggestion that is to introduce or propose an idea or a plan for someone’s consideration. Suggestions are abstract and can be in form of solutions, advice, plan, and idea. It can be accepted or refused. Social function: to facilitate interpersonal communication between different people.

For example:
- Let’s finish our home work first. 
- Let’s go home.

Expressions/Gambits

When making suggestions, we often use the following expressions.

- Let’s ..
- Why don’t we ...?
- We could ...
- What about ...?
- How about...?
- I suggest that ...
- You might want to change
- I think ...
- I don’t think ...


Examples of Suggestions

- Let’s go to the library.
- Let’s go to movies.
- Why don’t you do your homework before going out?
- We could eat at home today.
- What about eating at the new place?
- How about going to Sam’s place first?
- I suggest that we call it a day.
- You need to change your sleeping habits.
- I think you should go and meet her.
- I think we should do it this way.


Lets take a look at the sentence structure to suggest something. 

Sentence structure to suggest something

 
Responding to Suggestions

Responding to suggestions

Offer means to give something physical or abstract to someone, which can be taken as a gift or a trade. Offer can be given in terms of food, money, solutions, friendship or a bargain. It can be taken or refused. Social function: to facilitate interpersonal communication between different people.

For example:
- Shall I take you home?
- Do you want help with your homework?

Expressions / Gambits

When making offers, we often use the following expressions.
- May I...?
- Can I ...?
- Shall I ...?
- Would you ...?
- How about I...?

Examples of Offers

- May I give you a hand?
- Can I help you?
- Shall I bring you some tea?
- Would you like another piece of cake?
- How about I help you with this?
- Can I clean the car for you?
- Shall I help you with your homework?
- I will do the washing, if you like.

Responding to Offers


Responding to Offers

 Let's take a look at the sentence structure to offer something.

sentence structure to offer something












Comments

Popular Posts