Colour Idioms

Colour Idioms With Sentences



Idiom
Meaning
Example Sentence
beet red
dark red (usually to describe face)
My sister's face turned beet red when I caught her singing in front of a mirror.
black and blue
bruised and beaten
We found the poor guy black and blue near the train tracks.
black and white
straight forward, very clear
The rules we gave the kids were black and white. No answering the phone or the door.
black out
faint
I always black out at the sight of blood.
black sheep
the odd or bad member of the group
My oldest brother was the black sheep in our family. He dropped out of school at fifteen.
born with a silver spoon in one's mouth
born into a rich family
Keiko hasn't worked a day in her life. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.
catch red handed
catch someone in the act of doing something wrong or illegal
The kids were caught red handed stealing chocolate bars.
golden opportunity
the perfect chance
The models' conference was a golden opportunity for me to sell my beauty products.
grass is always greener on the other side
you always want what you don't have
I always wanted to go to university, but now I wish I had time to get a job. Grass is always greener on the other side.
grey area, gray area
something without a clear rule or answer
Writing personal email in the office is a grey area that needs to be discussed at the next meeting.
the green light
permission
The builders were given the green light to begin the tower.
green with envy
very jealous
I am green with envy over Julio's new wardrobe.

colour idioms with sentences



Idiom
Meaning
Example Sentence
(have a) green thumb
be skillful in the garden
You can tell by her flower garden that Sheila has a green thumb.
have the blues
be sad or depressed
I always have the the blues during the winter time.
in the dark
unaware
Antoine left his wife in the dark about their honeymoon destination until they got to the airport.
in the red
in debt
When we were in the red we almost had to sell the house.
once in a blue moon
very rarely
We only go out for dinner once in a blue moon.
out of the blue
unexpectedly
I got a phone call from a long lost cousin out of the blue last week.
red tape
official or bureaucratic tasks
There is still some red tape to deal with in terms of the inheritance.
red eye
an airplane flight that takes off after midnight
I caught the red eye so that I would see the sunrise over the mountains.
roll out the red carpet
treat someone like royalty
When relatives come to town my grandmother rolls out the red carpet.
rose coloured glasses
unrealistic view
Paula imagines Hollywood with rose coloured glasses.
see red
be very angry
I saw red when that guy grabbed my sister's purse.
tickled pink
very pleased and appreciative
My mom was tickled pink when my father brought roses home for her.
true colours
real self
Suzanne doesn't show her true colours when we have guests over.
white lie
an innocent lie to protect another person's feelings
We told Grandma that her cake was delicious, which was actually a white lie.
with flying colours
with distinction
I passed my road test with flying colours.

Comments

Popular Posts